Wednesday, February 8, 2012

When Monsters are Real

On the Today Show this morning they spoke to Somer Thompson's mom, Diena Thompson. 


Somer Thompson is the girl who made monsters real.  


She lived in Orange Park, Florida; a 'suburb' if you will, of Jacksonville.  We didn't know her personally, but regularly drove through her neighborhood.  It was the closest we had ever been to something like this.  As frightening as every single Amber Alert and kidnapping is, this one was personal.  It was a girl from our part of the world.  


I had almost forgotten that she had a twin brother.  They were the same age as my twins, and all the news coverage brought her and the search for her into our home.  It made my twins sit up and take notice.  They asked questions.  They were scared....and so was I.  I was heartsick.  Imagining being in her mother's shoes. 


I wanted to go to the candlelit vigil but was almost afraid that it would be too voyueristic.  Too nosy of me    to be part of something so personal.  We watched her family cry for her return on the news.  And our city suffered.  All of us, in our homes and collectively.  We were subdued and nearly broken.  We were holding onto our children like lifelines.  All independence for them was lost.  Because someone stole one of our children right under our noses.  


Their wondering was short lived.  Her body was found within 2 days in a landfill.  A landfill.  With trash. After using and abusing this child, the monster threw her out like trash.  I'm sure that I would not have had Diena Thompson's strength to carry on.  I remember very vividly when my twins were toddlers, fearing that one would not live to adult hood.  And this woman is living my nightmare. 


Today, they were discussing the fact that Somer's rapist and murderer plead guilty and was sentenced.  The family faced Jarred Harrell in court and confronted him with the hurt and sorrow that he inflicted.  He never even apologized, or had the balls to look them in face as they spoke.  Somer's twin brother, just 9 years old, spoke to the monster.  At an age where a child should still be innocent of the world.  


I left the Jacksonville area, just a few months later.  I haven't been back.  So I had almost forgotten until I turned on the tv this morning.  I'm so sorry, Somer, that I forgot you.  


A foundation has been started.  somerthompsonfoundation.org  Please visit as they have some interesting information about introducing Somer's Law to increase child safety.  They've dedicated a park in Somer's honor, and her disappearance moved the band Molly Hatchet to write an entire album.


You can read the chronology of the story on the Florida Times Union website.  Thank you for remembering her.  

No comments:

Post a Comment