Thursday, February 2, 2012

Happy Anniversary, Baby

Last night DH and I went out to dinner to celebrate our anniversary.


Five years ago today, I met DH at the courthouse.  I had a friend with me, and a Calvin Klein dress on.  We paid whatever little fee we were supposed to pay, and got married.  That first year was rough.  Really rough.  I almost gave up.  I almost ran him over.  I threw divorce papers at him.


So on our first anniversary, we got married in our church.  With our church family from St. Peter's Episcopal Church in Florida around us, some friends from outside the church, and a few family members.


I wore a white dress, even though it wasn't my first wedding.  DH wore a tux.  My oldest daughter was my bridesmaid, and his dad was the best man.


We filled the church with candles and roses  Stood in that holy place, said our vows, and knew that we were starting over.  I remember Father Tony wrapping our hands, and telling us that we were forever part of each other.  From that day forward we have been.


DH still finishes my jokes.  He can complete my sentences.  I can tell him I've been thinking about something, and he takes the words right out of my mouth.  With him, my heart is at rest.  With him, I'm not searching anymore.  I never wonder what if.  I never wonder if there's someone else, something better.  I have exactly what I need right here.


I'm not saying it's perfect.  I'm not saying he never makes me want to kick him.  Or scream. Or cuss very loudly, because sometimes he does.  I am saying that I wouldn't trade it for anything.  I wouldn't want to not be able to share my life with him.  The other day, we were talking in class about what would happen if your significant other died, and just speaking of it made me tear up.  Just the what if of losing my DH, paralyzes me with fear.


On our third anniversary, we had each other's names tattooed under our wedding rings.

I will offer this to my readers:  The 'right' person means you're willing to break the rules.  You're willing to forgive the unforgivable.  You'll move heaven and earth to find a way to work through a 'deal breaker'.  I know, because we've done it.  The 'right' person is one that grows with you, not watches you grow away from them.  The 'right' person holds you tight, and isn't afraid to give you a reality check when you've got your head up your ass.  So thank you Honey, for being the right person.  I love you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment